Black mold, also known as toxic black mold or Stachubotrys, can cause many serious heath problems if found inside a home. There are many health problems that can be linked to the mold exposure, such as mental impairment, breathing problems, internal organ damage, and sometimes even death. Exposure symptoms can be separated into different groups depending on what area it is effecting.
Mental & Neurological
The toxins that black mold produce can kill neurons in the brain and impair a person’s mental abilities. They can also cause nervous disorders and change a person’s personality, giving them mood swings and making them irritable.
- Short attention span
- Difficulty concentrating
People living in homes with toxic black mold are exposed mainly through breathing in mold spores and mycotoxins. They can cause irritation and a burning feeling in the person’s air passages, such as the nasal cavity, mouth, and throat. Some respiratory black mold symptoms are:
- Difficulty breathing (shortness of breath)
- Nose bleeds
- Runny, itchy, or stuffy nose
- Bleeding gums
- Sore throat
- Burning sensation of the mouth
- Bleeding or swelling in the lungs
Black mold spores can be inhaled, consumed, or absorbed through a person’s skin or eyes. Regardless of the entry way, these mycotoxins will eventually find their way into the person’s blood, possibly leading to serious damage.
- Irregular heartbeat
- Low blood pressure
- Bleeding tendency
- Internal bleeding
- Vomiting up blood
- Heart inflammation
- Bleeding in the brain
Vision & Eye
Toxic black mold spores in the air can enter a person’s eye very easily, causing many different vision problems.
- Eye inflammation
- Bloodshot eyes
- Blurry vision
- Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes)
If a person comes in physical contact with toxic mold, they can develops serious skin problems and severe rashes.
- Crawling skin
- Skin inflammation, rash, blisters, itchiness
Toxic black mold can cause many other symptoms when a person is exposed for any length of time. Some of these symptoms are very common with many other types of sickness, so it is sometimes hard to identify that mold is the problem. Some of these symptoms are:
- Chronic fatigue
- Reoccuring colds
- Chest, muscle, abdominal, or joint pain
Black mold affects different people in many different ways. Some people’s symptoms will not be as severe as others. People with weak immune systems, such as the elderly or children, can have more serious reactions to black mold exposure.
The best long-term course of action is to take routine measures to prevent all mold growth in your home or property. If you want more information on the health effects of black mold, please visit the Resource page on our website.
If you think that you have black mold growing in your building or home, please call Certified Restoration immediately. We have the experience and the certifications to clean it up quickly and safely, protecting you and your family from possible health problems.